KAAC Board Membership
The KAAC Board of Directors reviews, monitors and implements policy for the Kentucky Association for Academic Competition and the events it sponsors.
Coaches elect two representatives each from eight geographic sections to sit on the Board. There are also seven appointed positions on the Board, representing the following Kentucky educational stakeholders:
- Kentucky State Board of Education
- Kentucky Association of School Councils
- Kentucky Department of Education
- Governor’s Office
- Kentucky Association of School Administrators
- Kentucky Education Association
- Kentucky School Boards Association
- The Board meets four times a year, typically in January, May, July and at the September KAAC Conference. Meetings are usually held in central Kentucky. The January meeting is a teleconference meeting.
- Board members are also expected to Conference and the Governor’s Cup State Finals in March, and work when coaching duties do not conflict.
- Board members are expected to attend faithfully all meetings, and to work .
- Board members are expected to perform committee work in between meetings.
- Board members are not compensated for their service per se.
- Board members are reimbursed at the prevailing state rate for their travel to and from official KAAC functions.
- For those who live outside a 100-mile radius of the official event, or for multi-day events like the State Finals or the summer retreat, KAAC provides lodging for Board members. Board members may request double beds to accommodate family members. Family members are welcome at social events; if there is a per-person cost for such an event, that cost is paid by the Board member.
- KAAC provides meals when they fall during the time of an official event.
Any school representative, coach, certified official or employee of a member school, or school district containing a member school, is eligible to be elected to the Board. There are no such requirements for appointed members.
In 2018 elections will be held in the following Sections:
Allen, Barren, Breckinridge, Butler, Cumberland, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Logan, McLean, Meade, Metcalfe, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Simpson, Todd, Warren Counties
Bell, Breathitt , Clay, Estill, Harlan, Jackson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Owsley, Perry, Powell, Whitley, Wolfe Counties
Boyd, Carter, Elliot, Floyd, Greenup, Johnson, Lawrence, Lewis, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Morgan, Pike, Rowan
Nomination forms are due January 31 – refer to the instructions on the form. Signees must be the official school representative from the member school, and nomination forms must have signatures from three different member schools.