Campbell Classic NAQT Middle Grades Tournament 10/28/2017
Campbell Classic NAQT Middle Grades Tournament
- Where: Campbell County Middle School, 8000 Alexandria Pike, Alexandria, KY 41001
- When: October 28, 2017—Registration from 8:00 to 8:45 AM EST
- Cost: $50.00 per team; guaranteed 6 rounds
- Format: NAQT rules with bounce-back bonus
- Contact/registration: email@example.com
Dunbar Bulldog MG & JV Tournament 11/4/2017
The Dunbar Academic Team will be hosting a Quizbowl and FPS tournament for middle school teams (grades 6-8) as well as JV high school teams (grades 9-10) on November 4, 2017. Registration will begin at 8:15 AM, the team meeting for the tournament will begin at 8:40, and tournament play will begin at 9:00. David Ma will be acting as tournament director.
The cost for the tournament is $70 per Quizbowl team and $40 per FPS team. You can pay on the day of the tournament or send it in beforehand to: PL Dunbar High School, 1600 Man O’ War Blvd, Lexington, KY 40513. Please make all checks payable to Paul Laurence Dunbar Attn: Academic Team.
Lunch will be available at Dunbar for just $5 per person. This includes two slices of pizza, a cookie, and a drink.
We will be using NAQT 171A for JV and NAQT MS-24 throughout the day, worksheets will be house-written, and the FPS future scene will be house produced and scored. Questions will be given at the end of the day, along with FPS Future Scene and feedback.
All Quizbowl teams will play five rounds round- robin style in the morning. Based off their morning performance, all teams will be re-bracketed and matched with teams with similar records.
Trinity HS – Tourney for Middle Grades 11/4/2017
- Saturday, November 4th, 9am until about noon. Playoffs 1-3pm.
- Trinity High School, 4011 Shelbyville Rd., Louisville, KY, 40207
- $45 per team – max of 10 players per team (includes a copy of all questions, a T shirt for each player, and a certificate)
- $25 for an additional team from same school ($70 total)
- Modified Governor’s Cup format. One point for toss-ups and bonuses. Bounce-back bonuses used. Halves are 12 minutes or 40 questions, whichever comes first. 3 minute halftime/inquiry period.
- Contact: Mark Amick. firstname.lastname@example.org and 859-327-4323 (cell)
- Open to public and private schools.
SLMS Cardinal Classic (6th/MG) – London, 11/18
2017 SLMS Cardinal Classic Academic Tournament
Saturday, November 18th, 2017
South Laurel Middle School in London, KY – just 2 miles off of I-75
Who can compete?
Our tournament features two divisions – an Open Division and a Sixth-Grade Division. The Open Division is made up of teams of any combination of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. The Sixth-Grade division is open only to sixth graders. Sixth grade students who compete in the Open Division cannot compete in the Sixth-Grade Division.
How much does it cost?
Open Division – $50 per team (a school can enter a second team for $40)
Sixth-Grade Division – $40 per teams (limit one per school)
The day will begin with one written assessment window. The top five students in each subject (M, SC, SS, LA, AH) will be recognized at the awards ceremony in the auditorium. There will be separate assessments for the open division and for the sixth-grade division.
Each team in both divisions will play a MINIMUM of four rounds of quick recall. Each team is required to bring one experienced quick recall official who can serve either as a judge or moderator. Teams providing a second judge/moderator will receive a $10 discount. The tournament will follow KAAC quick recall format. Teams will begin the day in group play and the results will be used to seed a single elimination bracket in the afternoon.
Why should I bring my team?
Last year’s inaugural tournament featured 5 teams that would go on to win their district and region in Governor’s Cup. Of those teams, two would make it out of pool play at the State Finals and one team would finish third in the state! Our sixth-grade division featured 2 showcase champions and a showcase runner-up.
Our tournament is timed perfectly to provide good competition for your sixth-graders just before Sixth Grade Showcase. It’s also a great opportunity to provide valuable competition for your team as the academic leagues wind down and focus turns to Governor’s Cup.
To reserve your spot contact Chris Hibbard at (606) 862-4745 or via email at email@example.com
Robert H. Goddard Memorial Academic Tournament – Rockcastle County Middle – 10/14/2017
October 14th, 2017
Rockcastle County Middle School, Mt. Vernon, KY
Format or other rules – 1 round of written assessment, at least six rounds of quick recall
Contact person and phone/email – Herbie Brock, 859-200-3258, firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is from 7:30 to 8:30 AM EST
Cost: $70.00 per team, $10 discount if providing two experienced moderators
Registration deadline: Midnight Friday, September 29th, 2017
- One session of Written Testing
- Awards given for top ten test scores in each subject (MA, SC, SS, LA, AH)
- At least six rounds of Quick Recall
- Awards given for the top four Quick Recall teams
- Overall champion named based on Quick Recall and Written Testing scores
- Points structure from KAAC
- Each team will receive points individually. For example, Rockcastle A’s and Rockcastle B’s points will not be combined. They will be considered as if each team is a different school.
- Why should you attend?
- Early opportunity to play against formidable opponents
- Quick Recall and Written Assessment opportunities
- Six rounds of Quick Recall guaranteed
- Can enter multiple teams to ensure experience for all players
- Tournament T-shirts included with registration fee (4 per team registered) (additional shirts can be purchased for $8 each)
- Seeding and grouping allows for play with teams at your level (experienced or beginning)
- Central location of Mt. Vernon
- 1 hour from Lexington
- 2 hours from Louisville
- 2 hours from Covington
- 2 hours 15 minutes from Bowling Green
- 5 hours from Ashland
- 5 hours from Hazard
- Top ten testers in each subject are recognized
Written Assessment Procedures
Each participating team may enter 3 students in each of the following written assessment areas: Arts and Humanities, Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. Each student will be allowed to take only one test as there will be only one testing session. At the time of your arrival, please check with our registration desk and notify them of any changes made in your registration form. Testing numbers may be assigned at this time. Any student not registered by 8:30 will not be eligible for the testing session. The testing session will begin at 8:45 AM and conclude at 9:35 AM. All tests will be occurring simultaneously. All students will stay in the testing room for the entire testing time.
Quick Recall Procedures
Quick Recall matches will begin at 10:00 AM. Three preliminary rounds will be played to establish rankings. The teams will be seeded and placed into pools with teams with similar records for at least three more Quick Recall rounds. All teams are guaranteed at least six rounds of Quick Recall. At the end of the second set of pool play, the teams with the highest records from the two top pools will play in the Quick Recall Championship Match which will take place immediately before the awards ceremony.
- Match rules will follow all Governor’s Cup guidelines
- The decisions of all room officials will be final
- Seeding after the preliminary rounds and rankings to determine placements at the end of the tournament for Quick Recall will follow these criteria in order:
- Win-loss record in pool
- Head-to-head record
- Average first-half points (in all rounds played)
- Coin toss
*Additional rounds may be necessary depending on the number of teams in competition.
Tournament t shirts will be included with the team registration fee for up to four players. Additional shirts may be purchased for only $8 each. The shirts are white with red ink and will have the tournament logo design featured at the top of this form. To ensure all of your players who want shirts receive them, include shirt fees with your registration fees. Additional shirts sold at the tournament will be limited.
Food and Lunch
Our academic team will be having concessions throughout the day. Snacks and soft drinks will be available throughout the day.
- Because this is a fundraiser for our team, please encourage your team to purchase snacks from our concessions table. Everything will cost $1 or less.
- Please do not bring coolers or large amounts of snacks for your team. We appreciate your support of our school and our team’s fundraiser.
We will be selling $5 lunch plates that consist of two slices of pizza, a dessert, and a drink.
- Teams should not plan to leave the campus during lunch as we would like to get started back as soon as possible after lunch.
A hospitality room will be provided for coaches, bus drivers and officials. Team parents and team members are expected to purchase lunch plates.
We will be hosting a silent auction as a fundraiser. Please inform your team members to bring some extra cash. We will have a wide range of products appealing to students and adults such as toys, electronics, gift cards, and household items.
Officials and Equipment
All schools participating must provide at least one EXPERIENCED moderator AND a functioning buzzer system with laptop if needed. High school students may be used in any official capacity. Middle school students may serve as spotters, buzzer operators, or scorers. Also, additional persons to act as scorers and spotters would be greatly appreciated. SCHOOLS PROVIDING A PRE-APPROVED ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCED MODERATOR WILL BE SUBJECT TO A $10 REGISTRATION FEE WAIVER (ONLY ONE WAIVER PER SCHOOL).
Register at https://goo.gl/forms/lgcXH0ly7upWMAeq2
Registration will end at midnight on Friday, September 29th, 2017. Remember, online registration is important, but I will honor the registration of teams who have submitted their checks and invoices on a first-come first-served basis.
In the event that certain students on your registration form are unable to attend, substitutions can be made on the morning of the tournament. TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION AND RESERVE YOUR SPOT IN THE TOURNAMENT, please complete the attached invoice and send it along with your check made payable to the RCMS Academic Team to Herbie Brock, Rockcastle County Middle School, 945 W. Main St., Mt. Vernon, KY 40456. If you need directions, contact us and then the information will be forwarded to you. If you have any questions, call or text me at 859-200-3258 or email me at email@example.com
We are requiring that each team enclose a non-refundable check for $70.00 with their registration form. In the event that your team cannot compete in the tournament, you will be mailed a packet containing all written assessment tests and quick recall question sets. Also, enclosed in this information you will find an invoice that may be filled out and given to your school secretary or finance clerk to help in the payment process.
- The field will be capped at 24 teams. Spots will be reserved once checks are received by mail.
- Schools will be permitted to register a maximum of two teams.
- If space permits, schools may register a third team in the weeks leading up to the tournament.
Below you will find a suggested hotel, Econolodge in Renfro Valley. It is less than two miles from the school. The owners are parents of former students of mine and they will give you a special room rate of $72 if you mention that you are staying for the Middle School Academic Team Tournament on behalf of Mr. Brock.
*Weekends in October tend to fill up quite quickly due to activities at Renfro Valley, so to ensure you have a room at any hotel, especially Econolodge, you should reserve your rooms early.
Econolodge, Renfro Valley
Address: 1375 Richmond St, Mt Vernon, KY 40456
Phone: (606) 256-4621
*Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invoice.