The Junior Varsity Challenge is a competitive opportunity designed for Kentucky’s ninth and tenth grade students, who sometimes are “lost” between the middle grades (6-8) and high school (9-12) Governor’s Cup Competition. Teams compete in “sections” of up to 8 teams each.
- Coaches Planning Meeting – Oct. 25
- Composition – Oct. 28
- Five Assessments – Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts and Arts/Humanities – Nov. 6
- Quick Recall—double elimination bracket when there are fewer than 8 teams—modified pool play for 8-team sections – Nov. 6
JV Composition and JV Assessments are conducted online.
- Only ninth and tenth grade students may compete.
- Each school may have only one team.
- If a school district’s ninth and tenth graders are enrolled in separate schools, the teams may participate either together or separately.
- Students taking part in this event may also compete in Governor’s Cup Competition.
- Each student may take part in a maximum of three events.
- Each team may enter a maximum of three students in the written events and in Composition.
- Each school participating in Quick Recall MUST provide TWO Quick Recall officials.
- Each school participating in Composition MUST provide a reader.
- Content based on the Kentucky Program of Studies for ninth and tenth grades
- There is no required reading for the Language Arts exam
- All coaches will receive a Coaches’ Guide via email