The Junior Varsity Challenge is a competitive opportunity designed for Kentucky’s ninth and tenth grade students, who sometimes are “lost” between the middle grades (6-8) and high school (9-12) Governor’s Cup Competition. Teams compete in “sections” of up to 8 teams each.
- Coaches Planning Meeting – Oct. 22
- Composition – Oct. 27
- Five Written Assessments – Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts and Arts/Humanities – Nov. 7
- Quick Recall—double elimination bracket when there are fewer than 8 teams—modified pool play for 8-team sections – Nov. 7
Due the ongoing pandemic, all JV Challenge events shall be held online. Students will compete online at their school if permitted by school policy. Students prohibited by school policy from coming to school may compete from home.
- Only ninth and tenth grade students may compete.
- Each school may have only one team.
- If a school district’s ninth and tenth graders are enrolled in separate schools, the teams may participate either together or separately.
- Students taking part in this event may also compete in Governor’s Cup Competition.
- Each student may take part in a maximum of three events.
- Each team may enter a maximum of three students in the written events and in Composition.
- Each school participating in Quick Recall MUST provide TWO Quick Recall officials.
- Each school participating in Composition MUST provide a reader.
- Content based on the Kentucky Program of Studies for ninth and tenth grades
- There is no required reading for the Language Arts exam
- All coaches will receive a Coaches’ Guide via email