Showcase Competition Details
All Sixth Grade Showcase events will be held online. Students will compete online at their school if permitted by school policy. Students prohibited by school policy from coming to school may compete from home.
- Quick Recall will use the Quiz Bowl Pro platform
- These instructional videos are available for familiarization
- Showcase schools will receive a sign-up link via email from KAAC after registering.
- Quiz Bowl Pro works in tandem with videoconferencing platforms like Zoom, Google Meet and Microsoft Teams. It is browser-based, and there is nothing to download or install.
- There will be no additional cost to schools beyond the Sixth Grade Showcase registration fee. Your Showcase subscription to the Quiz Bowl Pro platform will be valid until March 16, 2021.
- Schools can have unlimited co-coach subscriptions, which will allow for intrasquad scrimmages.
- Showcase coaches shall determine their videoconferencing platform of choice as part of the planning process.
Quick Recall Rules Modifications
- All questions will be read in each half.
- Moderators shall not be in the same room as student participants.
- Officials shall wait 3-4 seconds before making a hesitation call.
- There will be no bounce-back bonus.
Showcase Written Assessment shall take place on KAAC’s custom assessment platform. Practice exams will be available for familiarization purposes.
Composition students will use a customized fillable PDF. Practice prompts will be available for familiarization purposes.
Written Assessment and Composition
Students competing at school are to be proctored by someone other than the Showcase coach or the guardian of a participant of the event being proctored. If possible, this proctor would have no affiliation with the school they proctor. If separated into multiple rooms, a participant’s guardian could proctor the room in which their child is not competing. Students shall be monitored both by a physical proctor and via videoconference. Proctor instructions for students shall include ethics guidelines for fair test-taking. Proctors shall record competition sessions if permitted by school policy.
Students competing at home are proctored via teleconference by someone other than the Showcase coach. Proctor instructions for students shall include ethics guidelines for fair test-taking. Proctors shall record competition sessions if permitted by school policy.
Students are monitored via teleconference. The Quiz Bowl Pro platform also alerts officials if a student opens another browser tab.
To prepare for the transition to online competition, KAAC will will offer each Showcase Section free questions for a trial competition before December.
Host schools are needed! “Hosting” will center around coordinating online events and scoring rather than facilities management. Email Brenda Darnell to volunteer or find out more.